Lake and Streambed Alteration Program

Fish Swimming
mountain stream
fish close up
Foothill yellow-legged frog
Desert wash

Fish and Game Code section 1602 requires any person, state or local governmental agency, or public utility to notify CDFW prior to beginning any activity that may do one or more of the following:

  • Divert or obstruct the natural flow of any river, stream, or lake;
  • Change the bed, channel, or bank of any river, stream, or lake;
  • Use material from any river, stream, or lake; or
  • Deposit or dispose of material into any river, stream, or lake.

Please note that "any river, stream, or lake" includes those that are dry for periods of time as well as those that flow year round. If you are not certain a particular activity requires notification, CDFW recommends you notify.

CDFW requires a Lake and Streambed Alteration (LSA) Agreement when a project activity may substantially adversely affect fish and wildlife resources.

Notify Online

Online notification through the Environmental Permit Information Management System (EPIMS) is currently available for the following:

Visit the EPIMS webpage for more information on submitting a notification through the EPIMS Permitting Portal or if you need to contact our EPIMS Help Desk.

Please Note - Only Permits submitted through EPIMS may request Amendments or Extension through Permitting Portal. Any paper Agreements may request Amendments or Extension through EPIMS Document Repository.

Notify by PDF

CDFW requests the use of Environmental Permit Information Management System (EPIMS) for online submittal of all notification types. Either the Permitting Portal or Document Repository will be able to facilitate electronic submittal of any notification form.

The following forms may still be downloaded, completed, and submitted via Document Repository with the appropriate fee to the CDFW Regional Office that serves the county where the project will take place. Amendment and Extension Request Forms for hard copy/paper agreements may be submitted through the EPIMS Document Repository.


CDFW is not required to determine whether an LSA notification is complete or otherwise begin processing the notification until the correct CDFW regional office has received the notification and correct notification fee.

Pay by Credit Card

NOTE: If paying the LSA fee online, the credit card transaction will include a 5% handling fee that is not refundable.


Cannabis cultivators applying for an Annual License from the Department of Cannabis Control must have an LSA Agreement or written verification that one is not needed.


Technical Resources

Informational Resources

For project and site specific LSA questions, contact the CDFW Region where the project is located.

Email the LSA Program Headquarters