Regulations | Illustrations and Additional Information
NOTE: The red abalone season closure has been extended through April, 2021.
Phase-out of Printed Regulation Booklets: As part of a broader effort by the department to go paperless, CDFW is in the process of transitioning to online regulations books and will be decreasing the number of printed books shipped to license agents and CDFW offices in 2019 and beyond. The cost to print and ship regulations books is significant, and money saved will be put toward fish and wildlife conservation. This year's booklets will also be returning to the smaller, mostly black-and-white format.
Try our Ocean Sport Fishing Interactive Web Map on your next fishing trip! This new resource is designed to help you visualize sport fishing regulation boundaries, including marine protected areas and groundfish conservation area depth restrictions, on your mobile phone.
- 2020-2021 Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations (PDF) Regulations effective March 1, 2020 – February 28, 2021 unless otherwise noted.
This is the annual sport fishing regulations booklet distributed in March, 2020.
- General Provisions and Definitions
- Finfish Fishing Regulations
Includes limits, filleting, individual species regulations, and more
- Finfish Fishing Gear Restrictions
- Invertebrate Fishing Regulations NOTE: The red abalone season closure has been extended through March 31, 2021.
Includes limits, seasons, gear restrictions, individual species regulations, and more for abalone, crab, clams, lobster, mussels, scallops, and other invertebrates
- Marine Plant Regulations
- 2020-2021 Sport Fishing Regulations Supplement (PDF) Regulations effective through February 28, 2021 unless otherwise noted
This is the annual supplement that contains freshwater salmon and trout fishing information. Please refer to the California Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations Map (see link below) for any changes to ocean sport fishing regulations.
- 2020 In-Season Ocean Fishing Regulation Changes
This page provides links to CDFW news releases detailing the reasons behind in-season regulatory changes as well as a summary of changes.
- California Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations Map
Up-to-date sport fishing regulations online - just click on the map to see regulations for your area.
- California Marine Protected Area Maps and Regulations
- Summaries of Recreational Groundfish Fishing Regulations
- Ocean Salmon Season Information
- Updated Dungeness and Rock Crab Season Information
- Fishing License Information
Fish Identification, How-To Videos, Maps, and Additional Information
California Fishing Passport
A fishing incentive and recognition program to highlight and promote fishing throughout the state. Pick up your free copy of the California Fishing Passport book listing 150 different popular fresh and saltwater finfish and shellfish that occur throughout the state. Try to catch one of every species listed, and you will receive stamps in your passport book documenting each achievement.
Fish Identification Illustrations