YES! You will be able to hatch fish this year!
Whether you are teaching in your classroom full-time, on a hybrid system, or involved in distance learning full time, we are here to help and will ensure you and your students have the opportunity to hatch fish in the coming year.
Here are a few things being created for you!
- New content appropriate for distance learning on platforms such as FlipGrid, BookCreator, YouTube, JamBoard and more.
- New videos to assist you set up your tank in case your coach is not able to assist
- A (hopefully) streamline application process
- Remote fish hatching available for your students to observe from their homes
- Contact free egg delivery
- On-line teacher training of teachers new to the program
- Webinars to share new materials and brainstorm how to hatch fish in a Covid environment
Please feel free to reach out if you want to help us create new teacher materials, have questions, or have a colleague interested in the taking the training.
Serving Alameda, Contra Costa, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma counties
The Classroom Aquarium Education Program (CAEP - also known as Trout-in the Classroom and Steelhead in the Classroom) is a community-based program which allows students to experience first hand the delicate balance needed for animals to survive in aquatic ecosystems. Using eggs provided by a hatchery, classes set-up and maintain an aquarium for the purpose of observing the development of fish from the eyed-egg stage until they become young fry. Students engage in course of study which supports the learning experience across curriculum area. This program is run cooperatively by local schools, fishing clubs and government agencies.
- Provide a positive learning program for classrooms on the value of aquatic ecosystems through the hatching and release of trout.
- Help students learn about their local watershed and how human activities affect the quality of water in local streams, lakes and the bay.
- Provide support to teachers to enable them to participate in this learning experience.
- Fulfill the goals and objectives of each partner.
Successful completion of an approved training program is required to participate in this program.