Information for Authors
California Fish and Game is a peer-reviewed, scientific journal focused on the biology, ecology, and conservation of the flora and fauna of California or the surrounding area, and the northeastern Pacific Ocean. The most recent instructions for authors are published in Volume 97(1) of this journal (Bleich et al. 2011 (PDF)).
California Fish and Game accepts manuscripts in the following categories:
- Original research papers
- Research notes
- Review papers
- Book reviews
- Commentaries and Essays
Manuscripts must be submitted by e-mail following directions provided by Bleich et al. (2011). The journal standard for style is consistent with the Council of Science Editors (CSE) Style Manual (CSE 2006). Instructions in Bleich et al. (2011) supersede the CSE Style Manual where differences exist between formats. Please follow these formatting guidelines carefully. Manuscripts that do not conform to the guidelines in Bleich et al. (2011) will be returned for revision.
A few updates to the Bleich et al. (2011) guidelines:
- Please include a Running Head in the title page information.
- Include continuous line numbers throughout the manuscript.
- Ensure that Key words are in alphabetical order.
- Submissions are no longer limited to the old Microsoft Office format (DOC files); we can now accept DOCX files.
- Ensure that the entire manuscript, with particular regards to the Materials and Methods section, is written in active voice, not passive voice.
- For rules regarding capitalization of common species names, please refer to AFS (American Fisheries Society) guidelines for fish species and TWS (The Wildlife Society) guidelines for wildlife species.
Authors of manuscripts that are accepted for publication will be invoiced for charges at the rate of $50 per printed page shortly after page proofs are distributed.* Authors should state acceptance of printing charges in their submittal letters. The corresponding author will receive a PDF file of his or her publication without additional fees and may distribute copies without restriction.
*Page charges may be waived for authors under in certain instances (e.g., for authors from developing countries or students without funding). If applicable, please request a waiver in your submitttal letter.
Back issues are being archived on the California Fish and Game - Contents page, where the complete series of California Fish and Game will soon be available free of charge to the reader.
Bleich, V. C., Kogut, N. J., and D. Hamilton. 2011. Information for contributors to California Fish and Game. California Fish and Game 97:47-57 (PDF).
CSE (Council of Science Editors). 2006. Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers. 7th edition. The Rockefeller University Press, New York, New York, USA.
Send submissions and questions to:
Ange Darnell Baker, PhD
Editor-in-Chief, California Fish and Game
California Department of Fish and Wildlife