A comprehensive evaluation of the sport fishing regulations is underway. CDFW has worked to develop a process to revise sport fishing regulations guided by five tenets:
- Maintain or increase angling opportunity;
- Improve regulatory consistency across waters;
- Align sport fishing regulations with CDFW’s current fisheries management goals and objectives;
- Reduce complexity and confusion; and
- Protect the resources.
CDFW hosted a series of
public meetings around the state in the spring of 2019 to provide information
and seek input on the proposed changes to the trout fishing regulations. CDFW
revised the proposed regulations based on this public input including social,
economic and public safety concerns. See the table of revised regulation changes:
NOTE: Trout waters with no change to their current regulations
are not included in this table.
Compare changes to our existing trout fishing regulations:
At this time, CDFW is not proposing any changes to the salmon
and steelhead sport fishing regulations as part of the Regulation
Simplification and Revision Project.
CDFW hosted a series of statewide town-hall meetings to provide information to the public and seek input on the proposed new statewide changes for trout fishing regulations.
The meetings focused on the following key areas:
- Objectives of the new regulation framework and species management goals
- Parameters of the regulation standardization and consolidation process
- Review of specific proposed changes to regulations
CDFW personnel were available to answer questions and listen to stakeholder interests, needs, and ideas. All stakeholder input is being taken into consideration as a regulation simplification package is developed for formal public review through FGC.
Meetings were held on the following dates:
- Wednesday, March 20, 2019
Talman Pavilion, Tricounty Fairgrounds, 1234 Fair St., Bishop
- Wednesday, March 27, 2019
Redding Library Community Room,1100 Parkview Ave., Redding
- Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Betty Rodriguez Regional Library, 3040 N. Cedar Ave., Fresno
- Saturday, April 6, 2019
Bass Pro Shops, 7777 Victoria Gardens Lane, Rancho Cucamonga
- Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Colonial Heights Library Community Room, 4799 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento
- Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Truckee-Tahoe Airport Community Room, 10356 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee