Click to enlarge
- Native to the upper McCloud River, a tributary of the Sacramento River (Shasta and Siskiyou counties).
- It is believed redband trout were historically the only native fish species found in the McCloud River and tributaries above Middle Falls.
- Non-native rainbow, brown, and brook trouts were introduced into the upper McCloud River as early as the late 1800's. Redband trout can interbreed with rainbow trout, creating hybridized offspring that may not be as well adapted to the arid environment in which they evolved.
- Today, pure McCloud River redband trout are mostly found in isolated headwater tributaries where non-native trout were not introduced.
- While McCloud River redband trout can be captured in the main-stem, headwater tributaries in the upper watershed provide the best opportunity to catch ones that exhibit the distinct bright coloration of their ancestral lineage.
Middle Falls on the McCloud River