Cannabis Program News

  • July 13, 2018

California law (Fish and Game Code section 1602) requires an entity to notify the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) before commencing an activity that will:

  • Substantially divert or obstruct the natural flow, or substantially change or use any material from the bed, channel, or bank of any river, stream, or lake.
  • Deposit or dispose of debris, waste, or other material where it may pass into any river, stream, or lake.

California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) requires that you demonstrate compliance with Fish and Game Code section 1602 by including a CDFW Lake or Streambed Alteration (LSA) Agreement, or written verification that an Agreement is not required, with your Cannabis Cultivation Annual License Application. To notify CDFW and receive an LSA Agreement or written verification that an Agreement is not required, please visit:

When you notify, identify all existing and proposed project infrastructure and activities associated with cannabis cultivation and site access. Activities include, but are not limited to, water diversion and storage, road construction, riparian vegetation removal, and stream crossing (bridge, culvert, rock ford) construction, reconstruction, decommissioning, and maintenance. 

Upon receipt of a complete notification, CDFW will begin review and may conduct a site visit. Based on CDFW findings, you will receive either an LSA Agreement or written verification that an Agreement is not required.

If you have an existing LSA Agreement, be sure that it covers all of your activities and that it has not expired. If not all activities are covered, you will need to submit a new LSA Notification and obtain an LSA Agreement to cover the additional activities.

For more information and answers to common questions, visit

CDFW appreciates your cooperation in protecting California’s fish and wildlife resources.

Categories: permitting

Contact Us