Introduction Videos and Tutorials
The following training videos and documents provide the basic information needed to get started using the CNDDB, RareFind 5, and BIOS 5:
CNDDB / RareFind 5
- CNDDB Overview (Video - 32 min): Essential information for anyone who uses the California Natural Diversity Database. Provides details on what the CNDDB includes, how occurrences are mapped, ranking systems, appropriate use of the data, and an introduction to available tools and products.
Skip to specific sections within the video:
- RareFind 5 User Guide (PDF): A complete overview of every tool.
- RareFind 5 Demo (Video - 24 min): A demonstration of how to query the CNDDB through the RareFind 5 web application.
Live Training Course
The CNDDB/RareFind/BIOS class is a six-hour course describing the background, purpose, and use of both the CNDDB dataset and the BIOS web-based map viewing tool (which includes access to the CNDDB). The class includes instruction and exercises on using many of the tools in both the online RareFind 5 and in BIOS 5, as well as viewing and querying the CNDDB dataset in BIOS.
Who should attend:
Wildlife and fisheries biologists, botanists, GIS analysts, and others involved with collecting and analyzing biological data and information. Applications include conservation planning, developing study designs, and developing baseline environmental review information. This class is open to people outside of the Department of Fish and Wildlife as well as to CDFW staff. The fee is waived for CDFW staff.
- CNDDB background, definitions, and proper use
- Online RareFind 5 query tools and reports
- RareFind 5 exercises
- BIOS 5 background, toolset and usage
- BIOS/CNDDB exercises
Course Length: about 6 hours
Course Cost: $125 (payment required in advance)
||To help slow the spread of COVID-19, in-person training sessions have been temporarily cancelled.