Report an Invasive Species Sighting

Gathering Information

It is helpful to report the sighting of a plant or animal that is a known invader, or that you suspect may be a new invasive species in your area of California.

Filling out an Invasive Species Sighting Report Form will provide necessary information to the appropriate agencies mentioned below.

If possible, take detailed photographs of the plant or animal. Including something of commonly known size in the photo is helpful for comparison (for example, a coin, eyeglasses, or a camera lens cover). Taking photos of the immediate environment where the sighting occurred and key landmarks for finding the site is also often helpful.

Collecting Specimens

If you wish to collect a specimen to assist with identification, it is important to keep the specimen secure to avoid the spread of the collected species, or any organism that might be attached to it. Please keep a record with the specimen of the location and date that it was collected. The contacts listed below can help with information about the collection and submission of specimens for identification.

  • Plants – Plant specimens should include the stem with intact leaves, and if available, intact flowers and/or fruits. See further instructions for plant specimens(opens in new tab).
  • Invertebrates (for example shellfish, worms, or insects) – store in a closed vial or jar with enough rubbing alcohol included to keep the tissue moist.
  • Vertebrates (fish, for example) – seal in a plastic bag and freeze.

Who to Contact

To report a sighting of a known invasive species, or an animal or marine plant that you suspect may be a new invader in your areaa, complete and submit the Invasive Species Sighting Report form below. Please note that we can only respond to reports of species in California.

For questions about sightings of a known or potentially invasive animal (non-insect) or marine plant in California, please contact the Invasive Species Program at (866) 440-9530 or send an email to

For a known invasive plant, insect, or plant/tree disease, or one that you suspect may be new to your area of California, fill out the form and print this page. Take the form, along with photographs and/or a specimen, to the County Agricultural Commissioner's office for identification (see above information about collecting plant specimens). See contact list of County Agricultural Commissioners' offices(opens in new tab).

Report via EDDMapS

“EDDMapS” (Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System) allows invasive species reports to be submitted from your smartphone while outdoors or on any web browser. On the user-friendly app, anyone can report an invasive species sighting, submit photos, provide sighting details, and document a negative survey. EDDMapS is available on both Apple and Android platforms or on any web browser(opens in new tab).

Suspect Invasive Species Sighting Report

If you don't see the map below, try reloading this page (Ctrl+F5).

  • About You

    You may not be able to provide all of the information requested below, but please fill in as much as you can.

  • Observation Details

  • - -
  • Using the map, browse to and click/tap the sighting location, which will populate the long/lat fields below.
  • Filename