The purpose of this notice is to provide prospective grant applicants with information about California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) resources available to meet the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways’ (DBW) new Quagga/Zebra Mussel Infestation Mussel Prevention grant application requirements. The grant application window is quickly approaching in February 2019 – to ensure eligibility take action NOW.
Beginning with the 2018/2019 grant cycle, DBW has implemented the following changes in their grant program:
- There will be two categories of grants:
- prevention planning and assessment
- prevention plan implementation
- No vulnerability assessment grants
- However, vulnerability assessment funding may be included as a component of prevention program planning grant proposals
- Prevention Plan implementation grant applicants must submit a copy of the letter from the CDFW stating that the Prevention Plan was reviewed and that it has been accepted.
- Grant applicants must submit recent (March 2018 or later) mussel early-detection monitoring to demonstrate that the reservoir is not infested with dreissenid mussels.
Fish and Game Code Section 2302 and Title 14, Section 672.1 require that owners or manages of a reservoir assess the vulnerability of the reservoir to the introduction of dreissenid mussels, and develop and implement a program to prevent the introduction of dreissenid mussels. The program must include public education, monitoring, and management of recreational activities including boating and fishing, and be documented in the form of a written plan. Each plan must be submitted to CDFW, where it will be evaluated for compliance with the code and regulations. CDFW will provide a letter of acceptance once the plan is deemed compliant.
Tools available to help develop a Prevention Plan include:
Webinar: CDFW staff will host an interactive online webinar. The goal of the webinar is to discuss changes in the DBW grant requirements and CDFW resources available to assist in meeting the grant application requirements. The meeting will be conducted via Skype.
Please use the following conference call in number for audio:
- Call in number: (877) 336-1831
- Participant Code: 940704
If you have questions, please contact CDFW at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 440-9530.