Fundraising Random Drawing Tags are available for special hunting opportunities for elk, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep and deer for the 2021 hunt year. Hunters may apply as many times as they wish for California’s most coveted hunting tags.
Fundraising tags generate dedicated funding for wildlife management programs that benefit big game species. Each year the fundraising random drawing tags generated more than $368,000 for big game management in California.
Fundraising Tag Basics
- Any resident or nonresident who will be age 12 or older as of July 1 of the license year may apply for the elk, pronghorn antelope and deer fund-raising tags
- Any resident or nonresident who will be age 16 or older as of July 1 of the license year may apply for the bighorn sheep fund-raising tag
- $7.05 per application; no limit on the number of applications you can submit
- Does not use or affect your preference points
- A hunting license is not required to apply, but must be purchased if drawn.
- Applicants may APPLY ONLINE(opens in new tab), at any CDFW License Sales Office or License Agent(opens in new tab) through June 2,2021.
- Tags are awarded by random drawing, which is run within 10 business days of the deadline to apply.
- Winners are awarded a tag at no additional cost and are notified by phone/mail.
- See FAQs on this topic
New Fundraising Tag Opportunities for 2021
For the first time ever, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) will raffle off TWO “Golden Opportunity” fundraising tags to the general hunting public. These tags allow hunters to take any legal buck by any legal means anywhere in the state beginning July 10, 2021, through the end of the year.
Most of these once-in-a-lifetime tags are usually available through a CDFW / Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) fundraising partnership that helps raise money for conservation and habitat management. Some of these important NGO fundraising activities have been limited in 2020-21 due to COVID-19 restrictions. As a result, CDFW temporarily has more of these tags and is conducting this effort in addition to NGO fundraising. This means a chance to draw a “Golden Opportunity” tag is affordable and more accessible than ever. The tags are now available to the public through a random drawing for a $7.05 application fee.
Along with the additional “Golden Opportunity” fundraising tags, CDFW is also announcing additional opportunities to win a coveted “Open Zone Deer Tag.” These tags are also usually available through the CDFW / NGO fundraising partnership and allow hunters to hunt in any deer zone of their choice during its open season. Due to limited NGO fundraising for 2021 four “Open Zone Deer Tags” will now be available through CDFW’s Big Game Drawing this year. This is an increase from one tag offered to the public in previous years. These tags are also now available to the public through the random drawing for a $7.05 application fee.
- Two Golden Opportunity Tags
The tags allow hunters to take any legal buck by any legal means anywhere in the state beginning July 10, 2021, through the end of the year.
- Four Open Zone Deer Tag
The tags allow the hunter to hunt during the authorized season dates of any hunt, using the specific method and meeting any special conditions of the tag for that hunt.
- One Northeastern California Pronghorn Tag
The tag allows the hunter to hunt in any of the Northeastern pronghorn zones, (Mount Dome, Clear Lake, Likely Tables, Lassen, Big Valley and Surprise Valley) with any legal method. The hunt dates are from July 21, 2021 to September 10, 2021.
- One Grizzly Island Bull Elk Tag
The Grizzly Island elk tag is valid in the Grizzly Island Hunt Zone with any legal method. Only one elk may be harvested. The hunt dates are from August 7, 2021 to September 5, 2021.
- One Marble and Clipper and South Bristol Mountains Desert Bighorn Sheep Tag
The tag is valid only in the Marble and Clipper and South Bristol Mountains hunt zones. Season dates are from November 6, 2021 through February 6, 2022. If awarded the tag the hunter must attend a mandatory orientation to receive the tag.
How to Apply for Fundraising Applications
- Visit the CDFW ONLINE SALES SITE(opens in new tab)
- Existing account holders - sign into your account, if you are NEW to the CDFW sales site, complete the Customer Search Criteria. If no existing record is located, the Create New Customer Record button will be enabled
- Once in your account - select the “Purchase Licenses” link and select “2021 – Hunting” from the menu on the left side of the page. Fundraising application items will be available under the “Drawings” section on the right side of the page
- After submitting your application, checking out and completing payment, you will be able to download a receipt confirming your entries into the drawings
- Application winners will be contacted by CDFW