The permittee must submit a letter explaining the need for an assistant, and identifying the assistant for whom authorization is requested. The following items must be included:
- A copy of the Applicant's current Sea Urchin Diving Permit.
- A copy of the proposed assistant's current California Commercial Fishing License.
- A letter from a qualified physician explaining the nature of the disease or illness, when the Applicant became disabled, the anticipated duration of the disability, and attesting to the fact that the illness qualifies the diver for assistance pursuant to the following clauses in CCR, Title 14, Section 120.7(q):
- The diver became disabled "due to a severe unforeseen or catastrophic long-term (expected to be one year or longer) or permanent injury or disease".
- The condition which prevents the permittee from diving does not include "short or long-term common illnesses, conditions caused or primarily exacerbated by aging, or any other condition which appears to be marginal or common, such as routine back or neck problems".
In addition, the CDFW must receive a $524.25 Sea Urchin Diving Assistant fee.
Mail the documents and transfer fee to:
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Attention: License and Revenue Branch
PO Box 944209
Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
Evaluation of complete transfer requests will take approximately 20 business days after receipt by the CDFW's License and Revenue Branch. If additional documentation is required, evaluation of the transfer request may take longer. If approved, a letter authorizing the transfer will be sent to the proposed assistant and existing permittee.
If you have any questions about the transfer requirements or application process, please contact (916) 928-5822 or LRBCOMM@wildlife.ca.gov.