The Permittee must submit a letter explaining the need for an assistant, and identifying the assistant for whom authorization is requested. The following items must be included:
- a copy of the applicant's current Sea Urchin Diving Permit,
- a copy of the proposed assistant's current California commercial fishing license, and
- a letter from a qualified physician explaining the nature of the disease or illness, when the applicant became disabled, the anticipated duration of the disability, and attesting to the fact that the illness qualifies the diver for assistance pursuant to the following clauses in Section 120.7(q), Title 14, CCR:
(The permittee is advised to provide the physician a copy of these criteria before the physician prepares the letter describing the nature of the disability.)
- the diver became disabled "due to a severe unforeseen or catastrophic long-term (expected to be one year or longer) or permanent injury or disease", and
- the condition which prevents the permittee from diving does not include "short or long-term common illnesses, conditions caused or primarily exacerbated by aging, or any other condition which appears to be marginal or common, such as routine back or neck problems".
- payment of $468.
Mail these items to:
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
License and Revenue Branch
1740 N. Market Blvd.
Sacramento, California 95834
Within a minimum of 20 business days of receipt of the applicant's letter and required enclosures, CDFW will review the request. If approved, CDFW will issue a letter to the permittee authorizing the use of the assistant requested, and provide instructions for extension/renewal of the substitution authorization if needed. If disapproved, CDFW will notify the permittee, explaining the reason for denial. The permittee has the right to appeal such denial to the Fish and Game Commission.
Please contact Ms. Debbie Noriega, Commercial Limited Entry Program Analyst at (916) 928-5817, or Debbie.Noriega@wildlife.ca.gov, if you have any further questions or require additional information.