Commercial Drift Gill Net Shark and Swordfish Permit Transfer Provisions

Effective January 1, 1991, pursuant to Fish and Game Code Section 8561.5, Drift Gill Net Shark and Swordfish Permit are transferable subject to the following conditions. Listed below are the conditions which must be met prior to transfer approval:


  • The permittee must meet either of the following criteria: (a) he/she has held the Drift Gill Net Permit for three or more years, or (b) a current letter from a qualified doctor stating that he/she suffers from a serious illness/permanent disability to the extent that he/she can no longer earn a livelihood from commercial fishing.
  • In the case where the permittee has died, his/her heirs or estate must submit a transfer request (accompanied by a copy of the death certificate) within six months of the death of the permittee. The same requirements must be met as if the permittee was still alive.

(A transfer may also be allowed upon dissolution of marriage where the permit is held as community property. Please contact our office for further information about the transfer procedures if this situation applies to you.)


The transferee must hold a current General Gill/Trammel Net Permit. (Note: The transferee may receive a General Gill/Trammel Net Permit in a simultaneous transfer providing all eligibility requirements are met by both the permittee and the transferee).

Application Process

The application consists of:

  • A notarized letter from the permittee (or his/her heirs) to the address below providing the name, commercial fishing license identification number, and address of the proposed recipient. The letter, filed under penalty of perjury, must also describe the terms of the transfer.
  • A copy of the permittee's current Drift Gill Net Permit.
  • A copy of the transferee's current General Gill/Trammel Net Permit.
  • If a commercial fishing vessel other than the current permittee's is to be used by the transferee, the letter must: (a) name the commercial fishing vessel to be used, (b) its CDFW vessel registration number, and (c) payment of $130 vessel transfer fee must also be included. Proof of a compelling reason for the vessel transfer is not required.
  • Payment of $1,500 transfer fee.

Mail these items to:

California Department of Fish and Wildlife
License and Revenue Branch
1740 N. Market Blvd.
Sacramento, California 95834

Evaluation of the transfer request should be completed within 20 business days after receipt by the License and Revenue Branch provided additional documentation is not required. If approved, a letter authorizing the transfer will be sent to the permittee with instructions on the process for completing the transfer. If disapproved, CDFW will notify the permittee in writing, explaining the reason for denial. The permittee has the right to appeal such denial to the Fish and Game Commission.

Please contact Ms. Debbie Noriega, Commercial Limited Entry Program Analyst at (916) 928-5817, or, if you have any further questions or require additional assistance.