- DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME, Sacramento, California
- UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Southwest Region
- SEA GRANT: California Marine Advisory Program, Cooperative Extension, University of California
- Original Book Cover Striped Marlin Design by Mark Smith
- Original Book Cover Graphics and Layout by Darren Jew
- Original Book Typesetting by Nancy Holtzman, 1987
- Electronic format (HTML) rendered September 1997 by Terry Tillman, Department of Fish and Game
The Marine Sportfish Identification book was made possible
through the collaborative efforts of numerous staff members within the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Marine Resources Division; National Marine Fisheries
Service, Southwest Region; and the University of California Sea Grant Marine
Advisory Program. Financial support was similarly provided by each agency.
The publication was a compilation of current information made available through
resource depositories and professionals involved with the project. Numerous
CDFW biologists and personnel, statewide, as well as other associated agencies
and groups, provided needed slides from their photograph collections in order
to complete the original book.
After years of development, based on a tri-agency agreement, the project
was completed. This booklet changed hands many times before its actual printing.
The final version of the printed guide, however, was constructed by Herb
Frey, CDFW, and the editing was completed by Curt Taucher, CDFW, with assistance
from biologists at NMFS and Sea Grant.
Finally, special thanks to Sherry Avants and Elizabeth Cardin, at CDFW, for
their endless hours at the keyboard pounding out the numerous drafts of the
The primary aim of the guide is to help sport anglers identify
the marine sportfish common to California.