Senate Bill 1017 (Allen), signed into law on September 27, 2018, directed the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) to establish a voluntary Drift Gill Net Transition Program (transition program), which incentivizes drift gill net permittees to transition out of the drift gill net shark and swordfish fishery, reduces bycatch, and provides for a sustainable swordfish fishery (Fish and Game Code (FGC) sections 8583 and 8583.5).
The transition program allows permittees to voluntarily surrender their drift gill net shark and swordfish permit and large mesh drift gill net(s) to CDFW ahead of the sunset date prescribed by FGC Section 8561 in exchange for a one-time payment prescribed by FGC Section 8583. The transition program specifies the method of participation and other requirements mandated by FGC Section 8583.
CDFW adopted new regulations for the transition program under California Code of Regulations (CCR) Title 14, Section 106.5 (approved by the California Office of Administrative Law on August 30, 2019).
How to Participate
NOTE: This is a voluntary process. Any permittee who has completed steps 1 or 2 below may withdraw their intent to participate in the Drift Gill Net Transition Program prior to receipt of compensation, by submitting written notice postmarked on or before January 1, 2021 to CDFW’s License and Revenue Branch.
- Download Form DFW 1083 - Declaration of Intent to Participate in Drift Gill Net Transition Program (PDF Form) and complete sections 2 through 4.
The current permittee must submit an original notarized, initialed and signed Declaration of Intent to Participate in Drift Gill Net Transition Program at the address below. Forms must be postmarked by January 1, 2020. One landing receipt, or landing date and location, must also be submitted if the permittee meets the description in Section 3, Statement D on the form.
Submit the notarized form and additional documents to:
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
License and Revenue Branch
1740 N. Market Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95834
- CDFW will review this form and determine eligibility in the transition program. CDFW will notify the current permittee of eligibility in writing when funds are available. Eligibility will be determined on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Submit the following to CDFW at the same address as above by March 31, 2021:
- Current drift gill net shark and swordfish permit.
- Valid receipt of net relinquishment from an entity approved to destroy drift gill nets (CCR Title 14, Section 106.5(f)). A list of approved net destruction entities is provided below.
- A completed state Form STD 204 - Payee Data Record (PDF).
- Upon receiving the permit and net relinquishment receipt, CDFW will notify the fiscal agent to initiate payment. Payments will be mailed via check to the address provided in Section 2 of the Declaration of Intent to Participate in Drift Gill Net Transition Program form.
Approved Net Destruction Entities
How to Become an Approved Entity
Written requests to become an approved net destruction entity should be submitted to CDFW at CPSHMS@wildlife.ca.gov.
Per CCR Title 14, Section 106.5(f), requests shall document how the entity meets the following criteria:
- Be a legal entity, with experience in receiving and destroying commercial fishing gear.
- Be able to receive drift gill nets, including attached floats, buoys, and lead lines, from transition program participants, and able to properly deconstruct the nets to prepare all components for destruction.
- Be able to provide participants with evidence of receipt of surrendered nets identifying the transition program participant and number of nets surrendered.
- Be able to provide a physical location or locations in the ports of San Diego, Los Angeles, Ventura, or Santa Barbara between January 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021 to receive drift gill nets from transition program participants.
- Be able to transport surrendered drift gill nets designated for destruction.
- Be able to trace surrendered drift gill nets from collection to destruction and provide CDFW with evidence of net destruction upon request.