The Harvest Huddle Hour (R3H3) is a prerecorded video series for beginning adult audiences. These huddles are intended to increase knowledge and confidence around skillsets required to harvest wild food in California in a fun and approachable way.
Participation is free and open to anyone but will require an exclusive "early viewing" registration while the content is most relevant. Huddles will be posted to YouTube approximately one month after registered participants have had the opportunity to watch first. Individuals wishing to sign up for any of the future topics should visit the R3 Calendar located on the main part of this web page and follow the registration link to the event listing.
Once a prerecorded video has been added to YouTube for public viewing, it will also be added to the list below. Participants wishing to ask questions or engage with presenters are encouraged to reach out to the R3 team at R3Statewide.wildlife.ca.gov. R3H3 will also be hosting two live "Question and Answer" events each year where previous presenters will return for an hour long Q&A session that participants can attend. Q&A dates will be posted in the R3 Calendar and will take place in June and October of each year.
Past R3H3 Recordings Library
- Episode 29: Navigating the Outdoors During Drought (Video) September, 2022: In this huddle you will learn how CDFW manages wetlands for waterfowl season during drought conditions, how to protect certain fish species when water temperatures are high and how to stay safe during peak wildfire season while out.
- Episode 28: Introduction to Small Game Hunting (Video) August, 2022: In this R3H3, you'll hear from experts on best practices for hunting rabbits, varying hare and squirrels. Also learn about falconry and how to get started.
- Episode 27: Introduction to Trout Fishing (Video) April, 2022: In this R3H3, you'll learn from CDFW staff about the various trout species in California, tips and techniques to successfully fish for them and some basic information about the department's Heritage Trout Challenge.
- Episode 26: Breaking Down the California Big Game Draw (Video) May, 2022: In this huddle, you'll see a breakdown of statistics and odds of drawing big game hunting opportunities in different zones throughout California.
- Episode 25: An Introduction to Turkey Hunting (Video) March, 2022: In this huddle you'll be introduced to CDFW staff and R3 Partners for a beginners look at turkey hunting. Learn the basics of turkey seasons, calls, and decoys - along with navigating regulations and public lands.
- Episode 24: What's a Hot Catch for Winter (Video) February, 2022: Join CDFW as they partner with Pat Patterson, an expert ice fisherman and CDFW collaborator who will walk you through what you need to know to prepare you for your first ice fishing trip. You’ll also meet Don Paganelli, CDFW’s bass expert, along with retired CDFW sturgeon expert, Tom Schroyer.
- Episode 23: Wild Game and the Holidays: How to use Fish, Game and Foraged Items for Holiday Meals and More (Video) November 12, 2021: Join CDFW as it partners with past 2021 presenters for a festive look at using wild game during the holidays! This hour long huddle will walk you through using your favorite wild game, fish and foraged items for things like mocktails, holiday decorations, gifts and meals!
- Episode 22: Family Fishing: Teaching Children to Fish (Video) October 29, 2021: Join CDFW as it partners with Vamos A Pescar grant recipient Reel Guppy Outdoors for an hour long discussion on introducing the children in your life how to fish! This in depth conversation will walk you through what gear you need, where to find resources to get you started and how to keep kids engaged along the way.
- Episode 21: A Trip to the Archery Store: What to Expect, What to Look For & How to Test (Video) October 15, 2021: Join CDFW as it partners with Backcountry Hunters & Anglers for an hour long discussion on navigating your first time picking up a bow and the basics of getting into archery. This in depth conversation will walk you through parts of the bow, safety, visiting your first archery shop and how to start your bow hunting journey in California.
- Episode 20: Learning to Use Waterfowl Calls and Decoys (Video) October 1, 2021: Join CDFW as it partners with Cal Waterfowl Association for an hour long discussion on the basics of using duck calls and decoys. This in depth conversation will walk you through how to learn duck calls and the different types of decoys for waterfowl hunting!
- Episode 19: An Intro to Ocean Fishing: A Look at Shore Based, Pier and Inverts Opportunities (Video) September 17. 2021: ln this video learn how to fish and crab from jetties and piers in California. We will walk you through a beginner’s look at how to start your ocean fishing adventures.
- Episode 18: The Basics to Upland Bird Hunting (Video) September 3, 2021: Learn the basics of upland bird hunting with this informative conversation that will provide the fundamentals for navigating grouse, quail, chukar, snipe, fall turkey and dove seasons in California.
- Episode 17: A Day at the Range: An Introduction to Firearms Ranges and Etiquette at Each (Video) August 20, 2021: Gain confidence navigating firearms ranges as CDFW teams up with the California Rifle and Pistol Association to discuss various types of ranges, proper etiquette at each and how to navigate your first trip. Ranges discussed include trap, skeet, distance, indoor, outdoor, public and private.
- Episode 16: The Basics of Bass Fishing (Video) July 23, 2021: Learn about the basics of bass fishing as CDFW's Max Fish and Monty Currier discuss all things bass, including the basics of catching your favorite species.
- Episode 15: An Intro to Wild Game Meat (Video) July 9, 2021: Learn about the benefits of consuming holistic game with Rick Travis from the California Rifle and Pistol Association. In this video, Rick will discuss the benefits of consuming wild game meat and shares some of his favorite recipes.
- Episode 14: CDFW & Cannabis: An Introduction to the CDFW Cannabis Program (Video) June 25, 2021: Learn about the impacts of illegal cannabis grows on hunting, fishing and public lands. In this video Jennifer Nguyen, the Environmental Program Manager of the CDFW Cannabis Program and Tyson Quintal, the Lieutenant Supervisor of the CDFW Cannabis Enforcement Program, discuss the impacts of illegal cannabis grows on hunting, fishing and public lands, and what to do if you stumble upon an illegal grow on public land while in the outdoors.
- Episode 13: Intro to Cold, Freshwater Fishing: A Beginners Look at Trout Fishing (Video) May 28, 2021: In this R3H3 session learn about the basics of trout fishing. In this video, avid trout anglers from the CDFW Fisheries Branch, John Hanson and Leslie Alber, introduction you to cold, freshwater trout fishing including differentiating species, spawning patterns and best catch techniques for California waters.
- Episode 12: Intro to the California Big Game Draw (Video) May 14, 2021: Learn about the California big game draw! Join J.R. Young, Vice-Chair of the North American Board of Directors of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and bonafide numbers-geek, as he shares his tips, tricks and secrets about getting lucky in the California big game draw. Including understanding different big game tags, and developing a strategy for how to be successful with your applications.
- Episode 11: Spring Foraging (Video) 4/30/2021: Did you know that we’re surrounded by wild edibles in California? In this session, Brad Henderson, an avid forager and CDFW senior environmental scientist, and Chelsea Britton, a registered dietitian nutritionist, share their favorite spring foraging opportunities and the bounty that California’s landscape offers!
- Episode 10: A Beginners Look at CA Halibut and Sandy Beach Surf Fishing (Video) 4/16/2021: This session features anglers/environmental scientists Travis Tanaka and Kristine Lesyna from the CDFW Marine Region where they pass along advice for fishing for species found along sandy beaches in the California surf.
- Episode 9: What Shotguns and Shoes Have in Common: Fit Matters (Video) 4/2/2021: In this webinar, Holly Heyser from California Waterfowl Association tells you how to find the shotgun that best fits your needs, your hunting plans and your body! She goes over tips for buying shotguns, new or used, including what to do at the gun store and ways to practice with your new gun.
- Episode 8: First Cast: How to Become a California Angler (Video) 3/19/2021: In this informative session presenters Flower Moye and Lee Duckwall of CDFW Fisheries Branch talk about the what, when, and how of California fishing. This session builds on the information presented during the Feb. 19, 2021 R3H3 on Golden State Fishing Opportunities and takes you through the next steps towards hooking your first fish!
- Episode 7: Steps to Becoming a California Hunter (Video) 3/5/2021: In this Harvest Huddle Hour ("R3H3") session, participants find out where to start, what to consider, and where to go for resources in the COVID-era. This session features CDFW's R3 coordinator, Jen Benedet and Sarahbeth Gonsalves, both who navigated the challenges of becoming hunters as adults with no previous connections into the hunting community.
- Episode 6: Golden State Fishing Opportunities (Video) 2/19/2021: In this Harvest Huddle Hour ("R3H3") session participants are welcomed to various California fisheries and introduced to the diverse fishing opportunities that the Golden State provides. This session features presenters, Michael Mammola and Farhat Bajjaliya, from the CDFW Fisheries Branch.
- Episode 5: Intro to turkey hunting (Video) 11/6/2020: This R3H3 session features Anna Allison, a CDFW environmental scientist and Kevin Vella, a biologist from the National Wild Turkey Federation. Anna and Kevin will cover the basics of turkey hunting and discuss the behaviors and characteristics of turkeys in the fall versus spring. This huddle is sure to help the beginning turkey hunter gain the confidence and knowledge needed to get out into the woods.
- Episode 4: Tackle Box Basics (Video) 10/16/2020: Featuring Robyn Bilski and Andrew Hampton, CDFW environmental scientists and avid California anglers. This R3H3 session will help participants understand what to pack in a tackle box for different California fishing adventures. Come learn about different types of tackle, and how to match the “when, where and what species” of various types of tackle. Our presenters will share their tackle tips and tricks and give advice on what non-tackle items you might consider including in your tackle box.
- Episode 3: Intro to Foraging (Video) 9/25/2020: Two passionate California foragers, Lt. Alan Gregory, from CDFW law enforcement division and Henry Lomeli, CDFW environmental scientist, will help walk us through the basics of wild food foraging and how foraging is a gateway activity into hunting and fishing and vice versa. Join us for this fun and informative session that will help boost your confidence to start finding wild food in the outdoors!
- Episode 2: Bag and Possession Limits and Gifting your Take (Video) 9/4/2020: Confused about bag and possession limits or how to legally give away the fish and game you've harvested? In this R3H3 session, Lt. Shawn Olague, from CDFW Law Enforcement, Brain Huber a wood duck biologist from California Waterfowl Association, and Roger Bloom, an environmental program manager from CDFW Fisheries Branch discuss the difference between bag and possession limits, what laws and regulations exist that govern gifting, and how these things play a part in wildlife management.
- Episode 1: Intro to California Inland Fishing (Video) 8/14/2020: Want to learn how to fish, could use a refresher, or need a confidence boost to get your lines in the water? In this video Richard Muñoz and Brian Young, from CDFW's Fishing in the City program discuss how to get started fishing in California and kick off our very first Harvest Huddle Hour.