Located in eastern Sacramento County, Nimbus Hatchery raises Chinook salmon and steelhead for release to the American River. The Nimbus Hatchery Visitor Center offers free fun and educational activities for children and adults of all ages. Enjoy the on-site nature trail along the American River to view wildlife, as well as the American River Parkway trail directly adjacent to the Nimbus Hatchery.
The salmon run occurs in fall, with hatchery operations taking place from the beginning of November through mid-December. The steelhead trout run occurs in winter, with hatchery operations taking place from January through February.
Location: 2001 Nimbus Road, Suite F, Gold River, CA 95670
- Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- The raceways (little fish ponds) close approximately 2:00 p.m. daily
- The hatchery parking lot located at 2001 Nimbus Rd is open 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. daily.
- Hours are subject to change based on staff availability or inclement weather. Please check our Facebook Page(opens in new tab) for the most current updates.
Contact: (916) 358-2884, Molly Shea
Directions: Off Highway 50, 18 miles east of Sacramento. Travel north on Hazel Ave. 0.7 mile, make a left hand turn at Gold Country Blvd. Travel 200 yards to the parking lot entrance on the right. MAP(opens in new tab)
See bottom of page for information about the visitor center's guided tour program.
More about this Facility